Friday, September 25, 2015

happy accidents: a tiny pouch with my new fabric

This week I was excited to get the fabric from Spoonflower that I had created from my watercolor paintings in my sketchbook. 
I love the few pieces I had printed.... 

And you can also order a sampler yard with up to 15 (I think it is) different swatches of your fabrics, to test out the designs. They advise that this is a good thing and they are soooooo correct...
 because I didn't pay enough attention to sizing! ..... 
 I had used this cropped piece of a page in my sketchbook....

 and in photoshop I cut and pasted just the purple flower to a blank canvas and uploaded it to Spoonflower.... Using their simple repeat I ended up with this fabric...
 (or so I thought)

 What looked small on the screen when the size is set at a yard,
is huge when you print it out and actually have a yard in front of you. 
 They have a handy dandy little tape measure at the top of the screen to use as you create but I didn't look at it I guess....
I was just winging it apparently....
So, this is the 8x8 swatch I received...

One giant purple flower! but....
 I liked it too and decided to create a little pouch with it...
I traced around a plate  and cut it out along with another blank piece of fabric for the lining.

I also oversized this green fabric so I cut that square out and cut it into 4 equal squares.

Then I folded each green square in half then folded the corners in to get points which I pinned to the front side of the flower circle.

Then I layed the 2nd piece of fabric on top and sewed around the outside edge with a 1/2 or so seam allowance, leaving an inch open to turn. I turned it right side out and sewed in green about a 1/2 around the outside edge, then again about 1/4 inch from the edge, leaving a 1/2 opening big enough to slide a small safety pin in. This created a channel for my cord.

I tied my cord to a safety pin and fed it through, then cut another cord less than an arm's length and fed it through from the opposite side. I had to snip the green thread to create an opening on that side as I hadn't really planned it out. so, I ended up with a drawstring pouch big enough for a handful of magic beans or a few special rocks.
The fabric i used is a little stiff for this project, if I had planned to make this I would have ordered my swatch in a thinner, softer fabric like their crepe de chine.
But I am still happy with it!


  1. That is amazing . . . I did not know you could do that :)

  2. oh my giddy aunt that is all sorts of fabulous... almost enough to make me want to sew... almost lol

  3. Wow! That is something! I can see why you'd need the samples. Hard to picture for me, too.
    Lovely little pouch! :)

  4. Wow. That is totally awesome. How incredibly creative you are. This fills my eyes, which is the greatest compliment I can give.

  5. Wonderful swatches...and thanks for the great info...adorable pouch. I think I would have made a throw pillow with that one since the flower is so gorgeous and I'd want to see it all the time!!

    Hugs Giggles

  6. Wow you are awesome!!! This is fabulous