Monday, February 2, 2015

an imperfect planner cover

a wanted to make a cover for my boring work planner...

I had a bright colorful painted canvas cover in mind but then i went in search of fabric and found this dyed fabric. I don't even remember what it was dyed with besides tea, but I changed my mind on the sort of cover I planned to make. I found some old scraps and some vintage pieces and set to start.
Warning: If you are into perfect measurements and straight seams you may want to look away. I don't seem to find that kind of thing too important.....

1. I don't usually have time or the patience for measuring so i just cut 2 pieces of my dyed fabric about an inch larger than my open planner...



 2. I layered them with a piece of batting between...


 3. I cut two shorter pieces of a different fabric for the inside flaps, the same height just less than half as long. I folded those under twice and thumb pressed them before sewing the edge.



 4. I zigzagged stitched three sides down  of a scrap of corduroy for a back pocket after turning that under as well.

 5. To decorate the cover i cut a small circle and made a yo-yo from it...





 6. Then i layered that with the vintage circles and sewed around them to the dyed fabric and the batting.

 7. Then I sewed the inside lining pieces to the batting sandwhich, along the left and right edges first, rights sides together...


 8. I cut away the excess batting along the seams...


 9. After checking for fit I trimmed and sewed the top and bottom edges as well.


 9. I trimmed the corners and turned it right side out.

 10. To hold down the center top and bottom strip where the binding  of the book would be, I sewed just a small strip about a quarter of an inch away from the edge.


 11. Last I slipped the book in and sewed a big vintage button to the top and a tiny ribbon the the back edge for a closure....




I am pleased with the end result but i think it needs some messy embroidery around the circles. If i get to it I will show you when that is done....

1 comment: