Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Small magic of roadside farm stands

A few months ago I started a series of posts  on finding small magic in everyday life. By small magic I mean the tiny charming moments that you create or stumble onto that make life fun and unique and full of quiet wonder. The first post that more fully explains what I mean is here.

Please consider creating a post that shares where and how you find small magic and adding a comment with a link to your post. I would love to hear about it. (You have until next month on the 13th, when I will have a new post)

This month I am finding small magic in little shacks....
I love roadside farm stands, how can you not?
All different types, all different times of year, with quaint hand painted signs  that are usually reminiscent of lemonade stand signs, and piles of colorful, fresh, local produce.

Little tables layed out with sweet corn 
Or
Stands with maple syrup or homemade jellies, or honey, 
Or
Strawberry shacks in spring....

At this strawberry shack you could buy what they had picked or you could pick your own. We actually got our son, Jace, to walk along with us at this strawberry patch last June. He didn't pick any but he plopped right down in the rows and played with rocks and spoke his own language, and was very patient while we picked and every now and then gave him a berry to eat. 
I am still using the berries we picked and froze for my breakfast smoothies.
 



And now the roadside stands are full of gourds and pumpkins. I pass by 3 on my drive into work and there are so many more on back roads and just outside of town. A charming piece of small town autumn. 







The art of being happy lies in the power to extract happiness from common things. -Henry Ward Beecher

4 comments:

  1. I love these . . . I've even toyed with the idea of doing one in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh you know, I have to say, I am adding roadside farm stands to the short list of East Coast things I miss. Of course, we have farm stands here but they have become, I don't know, too "hip". I appreciate a lovely little stand with no hype. lol

    Yes, they ARE small magic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to see little road side shacks all the time in Ontario full of corn on the cob, cucumbers, berries of all type and the odd pumpkin but I don't think I've seen one here in Scotland. Possibly not rural enough here, even tho the area is pretty much the same as the one in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  4. FINALLY! :) Not what I wanted to do but my other Small Magic idea just keeps not working out this month!

    http://existinsilence.blogspot.com/2016/10/small-magic-its-never-too-late_74.html

    ReplyDelete