Friday, June 20, 2014

still writing

 The novel I just mentioned I am writing ( I am up to 65 pages!) is set during the time the Phlox  bloom...
well in googling "Phlox" i learned these flowers that we have everywhere in June are not even really phlox. they are Dame's Rocket, or sweet rocket, an invasive species, unlike phlox which is native to North America.. They have 4 petals. not 5 like true Phlox. And their leaves are jagged and staggered around the stem unlike Phlox which are smooth and even around the stem. 
I have called them phlox my whole life.
I have probably never even seen real wild phlox.

I feel lied to.

So, I decided to use that in the novel. In it, plants already had personalities, so now my phlox have become, not down right liars, but sneaky and mischievous. They just stand there, waving  a little in the shady areas, laughing at our little lives as we run to and fro...











10 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and painting. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos and painting!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos of yours just blew me away. What a beautiful sight, nothing like it in my parts of the world. Your painting is good too and I'm glad to hear you've found a place in your novel for the phloxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos of the faux-phlox. And your drawing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the fact that you feel lied to made me snort my tea... lucky the keyboard seems to be immune to such splutters... great photos...xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so interesting. I have also called these Phlox my whole life. LOL Don't see any where I live in OR. but in N. ID they grew everywhere. Lovely painting. Have a very nice weekend
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, oh, my comment disappeared! Fits in with your lying phlox! Which I love! It's turning out great! And your photos and sketch are beautiful! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! I never knew. Deceptive buggers!
    Love your sketch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a strange thing to find out all of a sudden. Imagine all the people who still think as you once did! Lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, photos and artwork. This time of year is just so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete